What is WorkSafe New Zealand?
The WorkSafe New Zealand
organisation is a workplace health and safety regulator. Their vision is for everyone who goes to work, to come home healthy and safe. They lead the way for New Zealand to achieve healthy and safe workplaces by using an engagement, education and enforcement approach.
What is the Towards 2020 goal?
The Towards 2020
goal describes New Zealand’s target of reducing fatal and serious non-fatal work-related injuries by 25% by the year 2020, with an interim target of 10% by 2016. This target reflects the ongoing commitment to reduce work-related harm following the 2010 Pike River Coal Mine Tragedy.
The Towards 2020 report confirms New Zealand has met the interim target of a 10% reduction in the rate of fatal and serious work-related injury, and both rates are currently lower than the 2020 target.
- The fatal injury rate for the three years to 2016 is 2.1 per 100,000 Full-time equivalent workers (FTEs) (below the 2020 target rate of 2.5)
- The serious non-fatal injury rate for 2016 is 14.3 per 100,000 FTEs (below the 2020 target rate of 14.5)
- The supplementary indicator: the rate of injury resulting in more than a week away from work – is 11.7 per 1,000 FTEs in 2016 (above the 2020 target of 8.4); this rate has reduced since 2015, but remains above the baseline
While the target indicators are tracking in the right direction, the further analysis presented in Towards 2020 demonstrates that there is still progress to be made.
- International comparison confirms that New Zealand’s rate of fatal work-related injury remains higher than other countries such as Australia, the United Kingdom and Sweden
- Industry breakdowns are included for each indicator, and indicate that although we’re seeing progress this is not occurring in all sectors
- The rate of serious non-fatal injury for M?ori demonstrates that M?ori workers continue to face a disproportionate risk of injury
Future progress reports will be published on the WorkSafe New Zealand website – the next edition is expected to be published in late 2018.
Where can I get more information?
Be informed of the latest industry news, key updates and our product and version releases, by following us on LinkedIn
, and Twitter
. You can also get them delivered straight to your mailbox here