1. Design safe
- What are the physical, mental and emotional demands associated with getting the work done?
- Where is the work actually done and what is the working environment like?
- What machines, equipment, materials, substances, vehicles and structures used?
- Who’s doing the work and do they have the tools, skills and resources they need to do it safely?
2. Source safe
- When buying materials and equipment, have you consulted the people who use them?
- Are you buying equipment that’s designed for the task, fit for purpose, and suited to your unique workplace?
- Are you sourcing from overseas and inadvertently importing risks?
3. Use safe
- Have you done a risk assessment?
- If you know the risks are the right controls in place?
- Is a safe work method or quick safety check always done before work starts?
- Has everyone been trained appropriately?
- Is the equipment being used as intended? Does everyone feel confident using it?
- Is personal protective equipment required and does everyone know how to wear it?
- Is the emergency plan up to date and understood?
4. Keep safe
- Has broken or damaged equipment been replaced?
- Are your maintenance schedules up to date?
- Can workers report breakdowns and malfunctions easily?
- Are your systems and equipment contemporary?
- Can the kit be cleaned and stored appropriately?
- Are your current risk controls still working?
- Are there new or emerging risks that need to be controlled?
- Have you made sure you are also controlling uncommon but potentially catastrophic risks?
- Have you been investing your work health and safety resources where there is the greatest potential for reducing harm?
- Are you ready willing and able to respond to any early warning signs?
To learn more:
Want to read more? Browse our blog >
Want to learn about what we do? See our solutions >
Want more resources? Check out our library >
Want to hear from our clients? Download case studies here >
Want to speak to our team? Reach out here >
Be informed of the latest industry news, key updates and our product and version releases:
LinkedIn, Facebook, and Twitter. You can also stay up to date and join our mailing list here >